Monday, February 19, 2007

And just where do you think you’re going? (Part 2)

Me: “Would that be a brand new quad bike I noticed in the store just now? Where did that come from?”

Colleague: “Oh. It’s been there about four years”

“Four years? Who’s is it?”

“Ours. It got donated a few years ago for community visits into the bush.”

“You mean like the community visits I haven’t been able to go on because the car crashed and we can’t get any other transport?”

“Yeah. Kind of like those.”

“Hmmmmm.”

Long Pause

Me: “Say, I have an idea. Maybe I could use the quad bike to get to do my community visits”

“That’s a good idea. Only…”

“Yes?”

“It doesn’t have a licence”

“Ok. Well, one step at a time, how do we go about getting a licence?

“Oh. We need to apply to the Ministry. Only…”

“Yes?”

“You can’t apply for a licence without a Fuel Card. We don’t have a fuel card”

“Right. So how do we get the Fuel Card?”

“We need to apply for one in Windhoek. Should take a few weeks. Only…”

“Yes?”

“We can’t apply for a Fuel Card without a Roadworthiness Certificate.”

“Ah. And how do we get that?”

“From the vehicle registrations office.”

“Only….?”

“Hmmm. To get a Certificate, the vehicle needs to have a licence.”

“I see.”


Kill me. Kill me now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Further to your list of favourite animals, and also your current transport crisis; I have despatched a Bernie Clifton style ostrich costume, complete with fake (sunburnt) legs and some reins to keep the head up. Until trnsport issues are resolved, I expect all community visits to be conducted thus.

Unknown said...

amazed to see that circular (il)logic has proved to be your downfall (it has never stopped you before).
looking forward to photos of travel by ostrich (slightly surprised that you haven't managed to tame a lion yet though).
Hugh

Anonymous said...

You are a natural at this Blog melarky and I haven't laughed so much in ages. I will never look at Giraffes in the same light again. Nothing has changed in Nam except that we are also currently experiencing the invasion of some strange creatures in the form of Guiness guzzling irishmen who like betting on the gee gees. I am yet to win and reckon that some of those donkeys from round your way have found their way to Cheltenham race course! Look forward to reading more. Love Caryn

Anonymous said...

Dude. Are you STILL out there!!?

Cheltenham wasn't the same without you (or Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrroberts) so we legged it to Gloucester to find some action. Unfortunatly, Gloucester is full of bums and pikeys.... Ho hum, we live and learn.

Hope your tan lines are under control my man!

Kruel

Unknown said...

Priceless haha! You crack me up...but why bother? Just drive the thing my friend...you are there for the good cause anyway! Did Bethuel sort your car out by the way?