Saturday, October 25, 2008

Namibia - the rediscovery

As I have said before, when you live in a place for a while - nomatter where that place is - it becomes normal for you. Namibia was normal for me. Day to day routines of work rest and play had become thoroughly set in and were very comfortable. And then the 30th of September came about and I had finished my job. The thought of uprooting myself and discovering new countries became a scarily imminent prospect which I was both excited and pertified about.

But Namibia - my home - was about to do its last favour for me. It was about to prepare me for what lies ahead. It started throwing problems at me and I strongly (want to) believe that it was Namibia´s way of saying, "Ant. Thanks for helping me out the last few years. Now I´m gonna toughen you up for a couple of weeks for what lies ahead." And in a Micky training Rocky Balboa style it did. Visa problems, transport problems, money problems and homelessness helped me to find the fighting edge that will hopefully get me through the next couple of months as I wade up the West Coast. Even the Windhoek taxi drivers made us wait an age before we could get to the bus station.



And it succeeded. The visa worked out in the end. The transport got there in the end. The money came in the end. And people housed me, for which I am ever ever so grateful especially given my rather distracted and absent mindedness as I rediscovered myself and Namibia.

So thank you Namibia. I know you were only being cruel to be kind and I will never forget that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn it! i can't write in spanish!, your blogg don't allow me! Lucky you. Smart english blogg.
I remember the day a namibian's girl in the disco didn't want to serve a drink to you without no reason and the gay near to you began to ask you questions about what are voluntareer, really doing there in a nasty way.
So thanks Namibia for gave me a good farewell party with mad people around me, Fantastic mood!although I don't have anyother complaint.....(that i can think at the moment, hahaha)

Ant said...

I specifically ticked the box which said "no spanish comments" just so you have to keep practicing your english! I do remember all of the people who didn't want to serve me in Namibia (Outapi Lodge got good at it too - "we have no food" despite up to ten poeple sitting and eating!). Nevertheless I still maintain Namibia was making me stronger. Well it didn't kill me anyway

Anonymous said...

Hi Ant,
Will you please tell my mad sister i am glad to see she is washing her hair at least !!!!!! Us Magner women have to have some standards !!!
Ail x