Thursday, November 20, 2008

A brief note on BO

Sadly I could talk for quite some time about my Body Odour over the past few weeks (which I thought had peaked ont the trip North through Congo, yet surpassed even those levels on a bus journey in Cameroon the other day when the smell I thought was the live chicken under our seat followed me outside when I got off).

However, the BO I would like to briefly mention is the same BO that everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, is talking about - Barack Obama. It has been a truly incredible experience witnessing the aftermath of the US election out here. Prying into local conversations in bars or on buses and the name keeps cropping up. Walk along the streets of remote parts of Congo or Cameroon and people smile at you with thumbs up and shout "Obama!". The markets have Obama DVDs and people walk past in Obama T-Shirts. I've never known anything like it (obviously I wasn't here eight years ago when bush won, but methinks it may not be the same)

I once heard that the most commonly recognised phrases in the world are "ok" and "Coca Cola". I would add "Barack Obama" to that list now and even suggest that he has surpassed the might of "Coca Cola". Whether he is more than "ok" remains to be seen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its been pretty big here mate.
Here's something that I think you and Gareth would enjoy. Chris Moyles has written a Barack song which will have you humming it all day long!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0oxq0wLHAgE

Anonymous said...

Hahaha that song is coming from an spanish nursery rhymes, and this crack me up!,why in the hell, canciones infantiles is translate in to "nursery rhymes", you should see the russian cartoon which we grow up then, they was called the perfect punishment.