Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Pick a card. Any card

There is some sort of magic going on out here and, like all magic tricks I’ve seen before, I’m desperate to know how it is done. But deep down I know that after two years here I’ll be non-the-wiser.

I’m not referring to any illusions or parlour games or even witchcraft or tradition healing which is common here, but an uncanny ability of all Namibians to just know what is going on without anyone saying a word.

I’m sure this makes no sense so I shall try my best to explain.

One of the main parts of my job at the moment is working alongside a lady named Padelia who is a Medical Rehabilitaion Worker. This is Padelia:

When I get round to writing about work, Padelia will be a leading character, so this is the first of doubtless many introductions to her. For now though, I'm using her as my example to illustrate the "magic" abilities to which I am referring. I shall continue.


As I write this I am certain that Padelia knows I am writing about her. I am also certain that when I go to work tomorrow, Padelia will just drop into the conversation somewhere something subtle like “did you send your email?” or "that was a terrible photo of me" or, most likely "Did you enjoy your steak last night?", yet I’m here writing (and eating - its delicious) on my own. I can only think of two possible explanations of how she could know:
a) I took a photo of her yesterday and said I was going to put it in an email (and mentioned the steak come to think of it)
b) She is magic.

This is clearly not the best example, I'll try harder. In the hospital is when I’m most often amazed by how much she knows about what is going on. This morning we were sat in the office and I went to look for a colleague in her room. “She’s not there. She’s on ward 1”. And she was right. She was on ward 1. Yet I had been sat with Padelia in the same office for at least an hour. How could she possibly know someone’s exact whereabouts? Things like this happen at least three or four times a day – its incredible. She often fills me in on what I have done over the weekend when I forget.

I'm trying desperately not to make Padelia sound like a stalker - she certainly isn't - and its not just Padelia who possesses this all seeing ability as I've decided to call it. All Namibians seem to have this sixth sense of knowing what is happening or about to happen in a completely different part of the building, the village or the country.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a celebration day for people who work with disabilities. A traditional band came at the end of the day and everybody started to dance. It was all going great, people were eating, drinking, being merry. And then all of a sudden – and all in unison – everybody just left. The band were in the middle of a song (I didn’t offend with my dancing I promise), and everyone knew it was just time to go. That’s what I’m talking about. No messages had been passed around, no whispering in the crowd, yet they had all known (and forgotten to tell me I noticed as I continued to eat on my own).

Maybe its not magic at all, just that nobody tells me. It wouldn’t be the fist time.

I think I prefer to believe its magic.

5 comments:

Henry said...

I have experienced similar magical moments only recently - having a drink in a local pub with a mate and the bar girl knew intuitively that I wanted four pints of Guinness. When I told her this she obviously thought I was taking the piss and threatened to kick us out.

Sounds as though you're having a cracking time out there and hope you're not missing cold/wet/sad UK over Xmas too much. Heathrow has been infected with fog so loads of people waiting for flights as usual. Theres going to be a wind farm at the end of the Thames supplying 10% of London's energy requirements in 2 yrs time. Apart from that the usual fistive fun.

Trust things are well and when I get more time I'll drop you a package into the post with all that "adult" material you asked for last time... You did get the last one didn't you???

Henry

Anonymous said...

merry christmas dude!!!!! mulled wine is the way forward im drunk already. deb xx

Anonymous said...

Osso Marsupial..merry xmas mate.. good chattin to u the other day... Im off for a drink with dingo tomorrow, he's weighing in at an impressive 17.5st these days!!! gonna get hop along down if he's keen as well.. (thats u franks in case u were wondering)... take care mate

Sharky

Anonymous said...

I'm quite worried bout your discovery, does that lady have the power to know what I'm doin in Cork. Shes probably already told you that I was planning to defrost the fridge. There are people in here like her, but I think they're just real nosey baas.
Anyhoe, hope you had a good Chrimbo and that the falls were fab. No doubt you'll update your blog, which I might add is most impressive.
Kit

Anonymous said...

to be fair henry it is an odd night when you don't experience 'magical moments' after a few pints of guiness.

happy new year ant! hope santa bought you everything you wanted...do they have chimneys in Okahao?
hugh