Thursday, September 14, 2006

Is Namibia or Windhoek more difficult to say?

Hello from the Southern Hemisphere. Except for those of you who are also in the Southern Hemisphere. Although I guess I'm still saying hello to you from the Southern Hemisphere too. So hello it is then!

Arrived in Namibia safely after a comfy fight where no-one pulled a blanket over their head in an attempt to ignore me. Which is nice. All going well so far - we're all still in the capital doing our induction training and its not feeling too scary mary at all at the moment. Which is nice. Windhoek doesn't feel like an African city as you would imagine (no I can't see any Giraffes from where I am sat) as it is quiet and clean and very modern. Which is nice. Unfortunately we've had some crime incidents already reminding us all not to let our guards down despite comfortable surroundings. Which isn't so nice.

The news here is dubbed with "clicks" also for those tribal languages still containing them!! I thought it was just static on the tele at first until someone told me otherwise. The main news story was the retirement of the chairman of SWAPO, the main political party in Namibia. His resignation speech went something like this:

"I'm too old to do this any more. I keep forgetting to bring the right folder to meetings."

Perfect.

Hope all is well back there. Homework for this week is to tell me what to do if I get bitten by a snake. My plans to go running and Steve Irwin's recent found, previously thought missing, mortaility has made me a little on edge.

Ant

2 comments:

Henry said...

Woo hoo - the first one to comment on Ant's blog !!! Woop woop woop !! Just thought you might like to know that London is oscillating between hot and thunderstorms, the underground is pants and I've just eaten my second free banana of the morning.

Bertie Bassett

Ant said...

Think that I may actually be imited to real trees. Its just not the same.

Texting is good and seem to have reception quite a bit of the time. Which is nice.