Sunday, September 24, 2006

Its qll in French

Qpologies if there are mistakes, but toady I'm using a french keyboard. Obviously.

So here we go. One week down, one hundred and three to go (not that I’m counting already). Arrived in Okahao, my hometown for the next two years, last week. Was told that I would be living with another guy who works in the hospital. As you can imagine, when your going to meet your housemate (and the only person you know who lives in that village), a whole host of potential scenarios unfold in your mind. Housemates over the years have been cool with the odd moments of tears of pain, post spinach toilet avoidances, hairplugs, chilli con carnes and relationship dilemmas (an aside game for all former housemates is to match your name to the moment).

So I opened the door to my new house and was greeted by a crate of beer. I think I’ll be OK. Ray was the owner of the beer, a Zimbabwean Doctor, who as an added bonus had been bored prior to my arrival (and probably since), so decided to invest in a hifi and surround sound TV. Yes, you heard correctly, I have more stuff here than I did at home.

Nice. You’d think. Until I tell you about the one TV channel in Namibia. The first half of the day is the same news for half an hour in a different language each time. This is then followed by a variety of imported soap operas (mainly from Mexico) which I’ve been told I will become addicted to over the next two years. Hmmm, can’t wait.

The hospital I’m working in is interesting, but thats a whole other subject for another blog day. Keep tuning in and thanks for the advice on snakes and language. New topic for this week is interesting to do with eggs, which seem to be one of the more common foodstuffs I can find in the village.

Ant

No comments: